Monday, August 2, 2010

Prolog to the long road ahead

Today I weighed in at 243.5 lbs. This is far heavier than the 155 lbs when I got married 34 years ago. It is a lot more than I thought I would ever weigh.

Before college, I wrestled in the 145 lb weight class during my senior year. I weighed less than 145 but could beat the guy on our team in that weight class but not the guy in the weight class below. So, I wrestled in the 145 lb class and never had to worry about my diet, the intense workouts during practice contributed quite a bit as well. During college I put on some weight, I am not sure how much because I never weighed, just bought bigger clothes. After college, I became the manager of a small pizza restaurant. The heat, smell of food, preparation, and stress took my appetite away and combined with the physical demands of the job, I went down to 155 lbs. I had to have all my clothes either altered or replaced.

I remember thinking I was fat when I hit 165lbs. But then 175 lbs, whoa. And then I quit smoking, holy cow! I hit 186 and started getting heartburn. So, I went to my Doctor, he told me I was obese. Thank goodness he is retired or I could really show him how I’ve grown over the years. It only took a few minutes after that to go over 200 lbs.

In my late 30’s, I started lifting weights with a friend who had played college and then pro football. To say he was brutal would be to put it mildly. However, after a couple of months with him, I had my body fat computed and the result was an ideal weight of 196 lbs. I felt good because I only weighed in at 210 lbs.

After a couple of years, I got a new job and said goodbye to the daily workouts for a while. We bought a house .8 of a mile from my job. We moved in August and I decided to walk to work. By the first of November, I was under 200lbs for the first time in years. I would walk to work, home for lunch, back to work, and then home in the evening. No change of diet. Then disaster struck, it snowed. The town I lived in did not require residents to clear their sidewalks and the street I walked was a snow route, so, the snow clearing went right from the street over the sidewalks. This made it near impossible to transverse my normal route and I started driving to work.

My undergraduate degree is from the School of Agriculture, Food Science and Nutrition, Hotel and Restaurant Management program. I have always been interested in food and always claiming to diet. So, over the years I have read and studied both exercise and diet. I am not going to claim to be an expert, but I do know a lot. My main problem is getting ready to get ready. It is far more fun to study and learn than to do.

So, this is it. I always do better with a friend. I keep to the schedule because someone is relying on me. Also, I am at the age where if I keep on like I am, it’s heart attack time. I have this aversion to pain and suffering in the acute mode but know I can do the everyday. My friend will be this blog. The goal is to do what I need to do every day and report it here. The objective is to get down to 175lbs in the next year. I will do this using both diet and exercise.

I am not in the greatest shape, but not in bad shape either. I start reporting in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment