Monday, August 2, 2010

Day One, on the road again. . .

This is the report on my first day. What I will do is show my food, exercise, and activity diary for the day. Then, a little education or thoughts on what I need to do to reach my goal of 175 lbs.

OK, so, not a great start. However, I get rid of some stuff I don’t need t be eating for the next couple of weeks and will send more to the freezer for the future, like the fishing trip at the end of the month. Should have only eaten ½ of the sandwich, I really was not that hungry after the first half. BUT, I made the pastrami and we tend to eat what is in front of us. I am guilty, but will try to do better.

More tomorrow.

Weight: 243.5 lbs
BMI: 34.49
Chest: 44 Waist: 46.5 Hips: 47.5 Upper Arm: 15 Thigh: 25 Neck: 17
Food:
Breakfast: 1 Egg, 1 slice honey wheat toast (egg in the hole cooked in 1 tsp butter), 14 oz 2% milk.
1st snack: Two carrots.
2nd snack: Tablespoon frozen strawberry yogurt.
Lunch: 3 barbeque beef ribs, water.
3rd snack: ½ oz Monterey Jack cheese ½ oz pastrami. (I bought a food scale)
4th snack: Carrot & beer (hey its 100 outside and I’ve been working outside)
Dinner: Pastrami, Monterey Jack, tomato, lettuce sandwich on two pieces of bread and a beer.

Exercise: 11/2 mile walk, hilly terrain. 75 @ 6:30am. Did some huffing and puffing.

Activity: Some outside work, watering plants and working on hoses, sitting at desk, moved very heavy old style flat screen tube TV.

Thoughts and/or education: The diet, nutrition program, eating plan, whatever you want to call it: is based upon an eating pattern to keep the insulin level. So far, I am a little off pattern but will get into it as the week progresses. I have a lot of groceries that don’t fit the pattern and I am not going to waste them but I will be judicious in their use.

The basic pattern is:
Within 30 minutes of rising: Eat one protein and one carbohydrate, if you think you need more, eat more. After a long night, one needs the carbohydrate to bring up the insulin level and the protein to get things going. I happen to like eggs in the hole and it is a perfect dish for this. More on this as time goes on.

2 hours after breakfast. Eat a crunchy vegetable or fruit. Carrots, apples, raw green beans, broccoli, etc. . . NOT banana, orange, kiwi. . . The crunchy fruits and vegetables are more difficult to digest and keep the insulin level.

2 hours later, if it is not lunchtime, even if lunch is just 30 minutes away, eat another crunchy vegetable or fruit, we have to keep the insulin level or we may pig out at lunch.

Lunch should be a vegetarian mix of both raw and cooked vegetables. A piece of chicken, fish, beef, pork is ok but will really slow down the weight loss process.

2 hours later, more crunch fruit or vegetable.

2 hours later you can have an orange or other soft fruit if you want or more crunchy fruit or vegetables.

2 hours later, if it is not dinnertime, even if dinner is just 30 minutes away, eat another crunch vegetable or fruit.

Dinner should be 4 oz or so protein and a combination of raw and cooked vegetables.

2 hours after dinner either soft or crunchy fruit or vegetables.

2 hours later, soft fruit or vegetable if you did not have one after dinner or crunchy if you did.

For the next couple of weeks, I will try to stay away from carbohydrates, except for breakfast. Carbohydrates turn to sugar and will spike one’s insulin level and when it crashes, you are craving some kind of sugar. NOT GOOD!!!

When I follow this eating pattern, I will loose about 15 lbs in three to four weeks. The weight loss tapers off to a reasonable pound to three a week after that, depending on exercise. If one’s weight starts going up, they have added carbohydrates, liquor, soda (diet or regular) on a regular basis, go back to the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment